22 January 2008

Catalunya continued

Anyway, as I was saying... Girona is about 90 minutes by train from Barcelona. I got here yesterday and was lucky enough to get a bed in a quirky little pensió that seems to be very popular. They have a private zen garden and keep a lot of dogs: there are dogs in the room above me and they run around an awful lot. Girona itself is so damn lovely it brings tears to my eyes. It was a medieval town built around a river, but these days the river has slowed to a trickle, so all the bridges are crossing either barren ground or water that is only a foot or so deep. Nevertheless, they are very pretty bridges and the old part of town still looks as if it´s out of the dark ages. Many of the streets are too narrow for cars so there´s lots of scooters and bikes. Catalunya (Catalonia) is surprisingly distinct from Madrid and Zaragosa. The language is like a shade between Spanish and French, and everything is written first in Catalan, then Spanish, then English (this part of Spain is traditionally popular with English tourists). This morning I chose a random town from a map of the region and took a bus out to Palafrugell (pronounced Pala-froo-jay apparently). It was pretty nondescript. It looked on the map as if it was on the coast, but there was no water to be seen. Nevertheless it was nice to drive through the countryside - the vineyards and the old brick Spanish mansions. I had lunch at a cafe that was full of young people, was served by a guy with a dreadlocked mullet, and it was all very nice really... I try to smile as much as possible but I must sound like a pretty rude customer with my mangled Spanish. Tomorrow I take the train to Daliland, and maybe the next day I will leave Spain for Andorra. I´m undecided.